I haven't updated much since the surgery, but things were very up and down afterwards. After surgery Dylan was breathing ok, but not great and he was having more frequent desats and needing more Oxygen. So we agreed to give him steroids to help his lungs. Steroids are amazing for lungs, but have potentially negative effects on head growth and some other things associated with the brain. Of course the studies were all done with higher doses for longer periods of time, but even so the doctors don't give steroids unless they feel like they have to. But Dylan just wasn't progressing well enough so we did the steroids. And they seem to have done the trick!
Because Dylan is much more stable, I now get to hold him for about an hour each day (as long as it's a good day). Yesterday was the first. I hadn't held him since the last time I posted about it 3 weeks ago.
He's about 2 1/2 pounds right now. He was gaining well before the surgery when he was getting breast milk, but he hasn't had any since then for various reasons. The plan is to re-start feedings today. One of my nurses said that it takes the longest to get to 3 pounds and then he will progress quickly from there.
Here's a look at his face : )
Ready for a photo bomb? These are some of my favorites.
![]() |
| Eyes open! |
![]() |
| Holding his bear : ) (The nurse put it under his arm to surprise me.) |
![]() |
| In a comfy swaddle. (These is the prong mask - above is over his nose.) |






Gosh, he looks biggger to me! Must be growing some!
ReplyDeleteThat caption with the bear had me do a double take--I thought it said beer! Ah! Now that would be a NICU first probably!
Glad to hear his little lungs are troopers. And holding him? Le sigh! Must be just dreamy.
Love the pictures! I'm glad to hear he is off the vent and doing well on the SiPap. That's great you get to hold him again finally and that he can re-start the feedings - they will help him so much!
ReplyDeleteWay to go Dylan!! I love the picture of you holding him :)
ReplyDeleteWow... He is growing quickly! He will be having a beer before you know it .... haha!
ReplyDeleteSo happy to hear that he is getting stronger. I can't imagine how hard it has been to not hold him; I am glad that now you will have the chance each day.
Yay for growing and moving to the SiPap! Yay getting to hold him!
ReplyDeleteOh so happy!! Go Dylan!
ReplyDeleteYay! Keep fighting, Dylan!
ReplyDeleteI love those pics of his little face. He definitely looks bigger! x
ReplyDeleteWow wow wow! Thanks so much for the beautiful pictures! Preemie fingers always look so long. Isn't it strange that the move forward off the vent actually looks more "severe" in the sense that it obscures more of Dylan's face? I remember the pics of the triplets the first night after they were born; 2 were on CPAP and I remember seeing pictures of vents and not CPAPS and thinking that I wish that I could see their faces more. Boy, he is sure a cutie :D How awesome that you can hold him for 1 hour a day. I bet that will help so very much...he knows for sure who his momma is and how much she loves him! Thanks so very much for the wonderful post. Here's to a chunky Dylan!!
ReplyDelete<3 Thanks for the update. You are continuously in our thoughts!! He's absolutely beautiful!! <3
ReplyDeleteSuch awesome news!!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing his story with us. Although many of the medical terms seem confusing to me, I love that he is striving daily. Even with the ups and downs to be expected, he is doing a great job and such a beautiful little boy.
ReplyDeleteOh, he is beautiful! So great that you are able to hold him some. I'm glad the steroids helped and that he's off the vent. Thinking of you in this difficult time--I cannot imagine how hard it must be to be dealing with so much.
ReplyDeleteFirst....Soooo happy to hear he is off the vent.
ReplyDeleteSecond...OMG...he is sooooo cute! So glad you will get snuggle time now and he will get that good mommy milk again. Yay for progress and a bit of steroids.
Kd
Wow what a great update! He is adorable! And I'm so so thrilled he's doing well off of the vent! Enjoy every second of holding him. Hope the feeds go over well for him and he starts packing on the ounces in no time! :)
ReplyDeleteSo glad for the good news. I am very glad you can hold him now. Keep on growing little guy!
ReplyDeleteAwww I love the one of him holding his blankie! Sorry I haven't been commenting I had misplaced the link to this blog but I'm back now and glad to hear baby Dylan is stable. Seeing you hold him warms my heart.
ReplyDeletesweet boy! SO glad he is taking steps in the right direction!
ReplyDelete